Monday 22 August 2011

Sliders. Who Remembers That Sci-Fi Show?

Slideshare is an interesting little tool and seems to be one of those things which there was a kind of need for but no one had put the effort in before. Because of e-mail, shared drives, google docs, shared on-line spaces and the like a way to swap presentations with other people has been taken care of in the past, though not necessarily in an elegant fashion.
For networking and conference work I can see it would be great – everyone uploads their presentation to a shared space after they give their talk or paper and you don’t have to wait for it to be e-mailed. Great for getting your work out there as soon as you have given your speech.  Similarly I can see it working as a kind of VLE addition or some other form of repository where presentations can be kept and accessed by people instead of having them hidden away somewhere.
Compared to the vertigo inducing Prezzi, this is a different kettle of fish but I can see both of them having an impact if used correctly and if they are not used as novelties. And the danger is such things can be.

(and in answer to my title question, I don't think anyone does) 

2 comments:

  1. I remember it. It was terrible, but I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I never saw it, but I do remember its existance, if that helps. Used to be mentioned in various sci-fi mags, but if it wasn't on terrestial tv I wouldn't have seen it.

    Great job in catching up on all the Things though!

    Rowena

    ReplyDelete