Monday 15 August 2011

Google Milk

Remember the Milk? A chum of mine has this on his iPhone. He’s a very busy stand up comedian (which is rather like being a long distance truck driver from what I can make out) and on the way back from somewhere once he was driving so I used it to go through his in box and check his calendar, etc. It seemed useful but not a killer app.
Maybe because I don’t think I’d keep it up to date enough for it to be useful. If it linked to Outlook as well it may be more attractive but then it would be work based only.

I have become something of a convert to Google Docs though. I love the way several people can use the same document and edit it and you don’t have to keep an eye on version type to make sure you have the right one. IT brought up the issue of ‘what are you putting on there? / what’s the security?’ but nothing is hyper sensitive, it’s just a good tool.  Far more useful than another at our disposal.
I’m not sure if it is a feature of GoD but I sometimes have trouble highlighting text and it appears to run rather slow at times. That may be related to the constant saving that the system does though as well as our link to it. A very small niggle in terms of the overall usability of the system.

1 comment:

  1. I love google docs, so easy to use and share. We could of course use it in a more secure way. by not having a group logon and by sharing certain docs with colleagues with google logons. But then everyone needs their google log on, but not everyone has done 23 Things...

    Rowena 23 Things Team

    ReplyDelete