Tuesday 11 October 2011

SQL makes me SQueaL

During the DITA session it all seemed to make sense.  The theory behind SQL, how to interrogate a database, tables, structure, etc – all makes sense and seemed logical. I use databases a lot, like it when they work and understood the theory behind the interface. Surely I could use my logical approach and understand this?
No. No, no and no. In the labs I just could not understand it. My paper understanding of it melted away and generating a list of the ‘PubID, Name, Company Name and City for all publishers based in the city of New York’ became a madman’s dream.
I looked up resources on line and went over the notes and lecture but nothing seemed to work. I could see nice, neat tables marching around other screens while I could barely manage to get the thing to respond to any request with a hint of politeness. It felt like I was back in school and it was long division all over again, when everyone else got it and I was marooned on an uncomprehending island of ignorance as they sailed away on a tortured metaphor.
After a quick session with one of the tutors and a kind fellow student it was clear that I did not grasp the grammar and syntax on an almost fundamental level. The construction of the commands made no sense to me and that became a barrier to the next step, of knowing what the commands were and how to ask for what I wanted. Added to that, I could not ‘see’ the data or the commands which meant I couldn’t work backwards or forwards on interpreting successful commands and how they interface with SQL.
I managed to get a few of the tasks done but even that became guesswork based on mutilation of successful commands as opposed to creating a command that would work from scratch. Deeply frustrating and the successful and elegant tables I could see on other machines by my fellow classmates made it worse as I couldn’t really see why I didn’t get SQL.
I will have another bash at this but I have to admit that my enthusiasm for another session is low. The chances of ever having to interrogate an SQL database like this are very low and it was so difficult I don’t want to waste any more time. I would like to understand it and master it at a basic level but will have to convince myself it's worth it first.
On a brighter note my new suit was fantastic.

2 comments:

  1. I had reverted to complete incomprehension at the beginning of the lab too. The funny language rules continue to stump me...

    A great suit could probably get you out of any SQL on the job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Retail Therapy...

    I understand, while I did manage to complete the exercises, it was only because I'd misunderstood a forum post and spent almost 4 hours the night before getting through most of them (and having nightmares about joining tables...). Sure, it's good that I understand the theory behind this, but I don't see any DBA allowing me to touch a SQL server...

    ReplyDelete