Monday 10 October 2011

HTM Hell

There has been a small hiatus, my loyal readership, as I had a very busy week and could not quite crack the HTML task in DITA. I managed to get all the pages up and viewable after following some advice from a tutor and I also crowd sourced some answers from others on the message boards.  
But I still could still not get the images to show up. Once again the answers were on the message boards and I had to copy the picture files over to the W drive to make them appear. A clash between relative and absolute links had seemed to be the issue and low and behold it was.
A quick copy across and there I was. It looks like a personal website from when I was first on the information superhighway back in the early nineties. Sparse, plenty of bone white screen, not very well adjusted and pretty dull. But it is still up there and the links between all sites work with the pictures and that can only be called a victory.
As well as managing to get that page up, this has shown me the value of the course message boards. There’s currently talk of arranging a visit to Kings and some sort of social gathering which is all good and the assistance available via tutors and other students  has already proved its worth beyond doubt. Hopefully I’ll be able to help out some others as the course goes on.
Unfortunately I have to go to my tailors to pick up a new suit tonight so will miss any first post lecture drinks, but hope to make any future meet ups. Just who are most of these people I am surrounded by on a Monday...?
Now we have moved to databases and SQL. Familiar terms from my time at Nokia but I never cracked those books open. I think I understand the basics of it and have an intellectual understanding of database construction and interrogation but the proof is in the eating of the pudding.
Just looking at the end tasks, this is going to take some more skull power to solve, so in I go to SQL Land, population millions of bits of data.

2 comments: