Friday 17 June 2011

End of Chapter

After being away for an excellent training course (seriously, it was. We all drank the Kool Aid by the end and I see some good changes coming from this and soon) I return to find many more blogs on the 23 Things programme. Excellent!

I believe that some of these are from part time colleagues at Cass, so they really are people I may never interact with in the normal execution of my duties (that’s rather a pompous statement I know but I do like the phrase ‘execution of my duties’, it sounds so pointlessly sinister). Hopefully the experience of us all blogging and going together through a course may bridge some of the gaps between sites.  For example I know there are people at NSQ that I simply have not met and it’s not because they are new – we just simply never have an opportunity to interact, work different shift patterns, attend different meetings, etc.

At a previous place of employment it was a very global corporation so you didn’t expect to know people in your team stationed in Israel or San Francisco well, but you still had to interact with them on a regular basis. This meant many, many hours on the phone which was the corporate business but not conducive to good working as it set up barriers. E-mail was the same. Despite being a (then) multi-billion dollar technology corporation they simply could not get multi site working and collaboration sorted out. Perhaps something simple like a 23 Things programme would have been better....?

After popular demand i looked but couldn’t find a picture of me looking like a member of the Geheime Staatspolizei, so here is one of me as a Bavarian. It carries a similar message but people don’t sing the Indiana Jones theme tune at me as much.

2 comments:

  1. I had no idea we had a library executioner. Whilst I think we do need to have some sort of system for 'punishing' students who repeatedly bring in coffee and McDonald's, I do think you're taking it a step too far......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the photo! Some odd themes do seem to be coming together in your posts though. First the Gestapo, now Executioners!!

    And brill that you're finding out about colleagues on other sites - that's one of the aims of the 23 Things programme, helping to build communities and connections.

    Rowena 23 Things Team

    ReplyDelete